Geological Phenomena & Events
By Andrew Alden, About.com Guide
Current Earthquakes, Eruptions & Tsunamis
Fast access to information on these geologic hazards.
Background and detail on earthquakes and how to prepare for them.
- Earthquakes in a Nutshell
- About Aftershocks
- Seismic Liquefaction
- The 3 Types of Earthquake Faults
- Richter Scale: Earthquake Magnitude
- Mercalli Scale: Earthquake Intensity
- The San Andreas Fault
- Maps of World Earthquake Hazard
- Earthquake Hazards in Your Region
- Historic Earthquakes
- Earthquake Preparedness
- Predicting Earthquakes
- Forensic Seismology
Background and detail on volcanoes and the processes that make them.
Tsunamis are giant sea waves created by earthquakes, landslides and cosmic impacts.
- Introducing Tsunamis
- Deadliest Tsunamis in 4 Oceans
- Six-Point Tsunami Intensity Scale
- 12-Point Tsunami Scale of 2001
Other Geologic Hazards
Newsworthy threats beyond the Big Three of quakes, eruptions and tsunamis.
Global warming is the political problem; climate change is the scientific problem.
- Global Warming in a Nutshell
- Geoengineering and Climateering
- Parameters in Climate Modeling
- Deeper Resources on Climate Change
Geology in the News
Whatever the topic is, here is help finding more about it.
- Geology News Sites
- Web Cams of Geologic Subjects
- Blogs on Geologic Subjects
- Scales of Magnitude, Geologic Time and More