Sedimentary rocks tell stories about the geologic processes that made them. These processes are familiarwaves and currents, winds and weather, living things, landslides and more. All of them leave their signs in sedimentary structures like these.
If you have a photo of a sedimentary structure not shown here, please submit it.
- Ball-and-Pillow Structure, CaliforniaSigns of unstable mixing
- Bedding, CaliforniaA simple case in shale
- Channel Cast, CaliforniaA natural cut-and-fill
- Concretions, NevadaKnobby afterthoughts
- Convolute Lamination, CaliforniaSigns of roiling motions
- Dropstone, CaliforniaA clast out of place
- Flame Structure, CaliforniaSigns of gravity and motion
- Flute Casts, MongoliaFossil watermarks
- Foreset Beds, AustraliaFormed on a slant
- Gas-Escape Structures, ColoradoBubble trails frozen in time
- Geopetal Structure, WisconsinLike little spirit levels
- Graded Bedding, CaliforniaCoarse down, fine up