Where the geology professors get their PhD's
—Of the teaching faculty of American universities, an overwhelming 79 percent earned their geoscience PhD's from just 25 institutions. These same schools granted 48 percent of the doctorates held by all faculty.
Here they are, ranked from first to last. The links go to the school's geology departments.
This is not the only way to rank colleges—for more, see the Colleges category—but these ones are all top-notch.
1. Massachusetts Institute of Technology
2. University of California, Berkeley
3. University of Wisconsin, Madison
4. University of Washington
5. Columbia University
6. Stanford University
7. Pennsylvania State University
8. Harvard University
9. University of California, San Diego
10. University of Michigan
11. University of California, Los Angeles
12. California Institute of Technology
University of Illinois (tie)
14. University of Arizona
15. University of Minnesota
16. Cornell University
17. Yale University
18. University of Colorado
19. Princeton University
20. University of Chicago
21. Oregon State University
22. Johns Hopkins University
23. University of Texas, Austin
Texas A&M University (tie)
25. Ohio State University
Thanks to the American Geological Institute for this information, reported in Geotimes May 2003.