1. Education

Andrew Alden

What's a Good Field Trip for a Layover?

By February 3, 2014

If you travel enough, one day you'll be laid over in some airport city for a day. That might happen to you where I live in the San Francisco Bay area, a center of varied geology and significant geologic history. What then? Sure you could party with local friends, but you could also take those friends with you on a field trip!

Now I could make a huge list of possibilities, but it's easy to find on my site and I'll spare you. I think it would be more interesting to know about YOUR city. Post a comment or submit a post to the collection.

(Oh, OK, here's my California Geology stuff.)

Comments

December 21, 2011 at 12:29 am
(1) Mika says:

For very short layovers, have some science in the airport!

December 21, 2011 at 12:44 am
(2) K says:

Adelaide, Australia — catch a bus south towards Flinders University, and walk into Sturt Gorge, which is the type locality for one of the Neoproterozoic tillites which form part of the evidence for Snowball Earth (see http://www.ajsonline.org/content/300/5/347.full.pdf Table 1 #39)

December 21, 2011 at 6:53 am
(3) Dana Hunter says:

Oh, Andrew, joy of my heart, I have just the thing: http://freethoughtblogs.com/entequilaesverdad/2011/12/21/layover-geology-discovery-park/. And soon more where that came from! Thank you for the meme – this is going to be outstanding good fun.

December 21, 2011 at 2:12 pm
(4) David Beatty says:

Layover short, don’t miss your connection — take a cab down town and look at what the building, banks and churches, are faced with.

December 21, 2011 at 10:13 pm
(5) Karen says:

Oh, Andrew, I read the headline of the post quickly and at first thought it said What’s a Good Field Trip for a Lawyer? I envisioned various scenarios involving high cliffs in uninhabited areas, but couldn’t quite connect it to geology…until I read it again. Sigh.

I like David Beatty’s suggestion. In fact, various geology classes at San Jose State University, which is right next to the downtown section of San Jose, do short walking tours looking at the facings of some of the more geologically decorated buildings. If you called the department in advance and got them to fax you the Walking Tour worksheet, you could do a 20-minute cab ride and see a whole variety of interesting facings. Downtown isn’t that far from the airport, as I am reminded every time a plane lands. :-)

December 26, 2011 at 1:38 am
(6) Rod Martin says:

Auckland (New Zealand) has 50+ small volcanoes within the city area – several are within walking distance of the airport

December 28, 2011 at 12:13 am
(7) Barry McMullan says:

Recently went on a field trip sponsored by AEG in Vicksburg, MS. They had two retired geologists from the Army Corps of Engineers facility there who co-narated the excursion. One covered the geology and the other the Civil War Siege. The lesson was how geology influenced the siege. They produced a small guidebook.A short ride from the Jackson, MS airport.

February 3, 2014 at 11:36 pm
(8) Kevin says:

I also live in the Bay Area, and one thing I like to visit is the San Andreas Fault Trail at the Los Trancos Open Space Preserve above Palo Alto.