1. Education

Andrew Alden

Free Online Geology Courses

By December 2, 2009

People have asked me for years if there are geology courses online. There are lots of places where you can see professors' lecture notes, but nothing exists like the many business-oriented online degree programs. The blogger known as GeoCastAway pointed me to MIT's extensive Open Courseware offerings, which include dozens of courses from the Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences department. While most of them, again, are lecture notes and no more, they are freely accessible and reusable under Creative Commons license.

More:
Take My Minerals E-mail Course
What Should a High-Schooler Study?
The Digital Earth
Teaching and Learning Geology

Comments

December 8, 2009 at 11:03 am
(1) Simon Kelley says:

Hi Andrew

There are several bits of courses, generally basic undergrad courses on the OpenLearn site too. These are distance learning materials so more suited to web viewing although they are sometimes a few years old. Just click on the Science and Nature topic and scan down, there are several there.

Smon

December 13, 2009 at 1:46 pm
(2) Steve Needles says:

I am currently enrolled in an online Certificate in Geotechnics program at Missouri University of Science and Technology (formerly the University of Missouri – Rolla). They have both a certificate program and a masters program with classes from geological, civil, and mining engineering departments offered online. I just finished up classes in Rock Engineering and Intermediate Soil Mechanics, and I give both classes a thumbs up. If interested you can get more information at http://gtech.mst.edu/.

August 5, 2010 at 9:03 am
(3) Ashley says:

I am considering taking the Missouri S&T classes online for my job and I think others here may be interested. Thanks a bunch for the link!

August 9, 2010 at 7:39 pm
(4) Geology Guide says:

I’ve just updated the link to the MIT site. Like too many large and important sites, they reorganized without redirecting their old pages.

August 9, 2012 at 7:42 pm
(5) Katie says:

Columbia College offers an online geology course. http://www.ccis.edu/online/

November 16, 2012 at 1:05 pm
(6) micheal george says:

i am a Liberian and love to study geology online free where can i study please help me out

January 14, 2013 at 10:37 am
(7) Tish says:

Good day… I am interested in online geological courses where I may obtain a degree. Does anyone have any ideas as to where I really can start? I have been searching sites, google, and there are endless links. I am just unsure of which ones are the correct ones for me! Any and all information will be most appreciated! Thank you in advance.

May 11, 2013 at 3:47 am
(8) Adarsh Kumar Jaiswal says:

I am working in India and want to obtain a proficiency in the field of engineering geology. Could you please suggest me how I can gain a online degree while working…