1. "Smilla's Sense of Snow" featured what murder weapon?
2. What is the mineral name of ice?
3. What is the rear end of a trilobite called? What about the other end?
4. What do these have in common: lead, belt, polynya, bummocks?
5. What do these have in common: suevite, hyaloclastite, lechatelierite, tektite?
6. "Slab pull" is (a) a field-camp game, (b) a lithospheric traction, (c) a step in artificial diamond manufacture, (d) the design strength of a concrete mixture?
7. Put these in order from bottom to top: colonnade, entablature, pillows, vesicular cap
8. Which of these does not belong: muscovite, kutnahorite, franklinite, dolomite?
9. Which of these does not belong: cinnabar, massicot, orpiment, realgar?
10. Which plate is smallest: Arabian, Caribbean, Nazca, Scotia? Which is largest?
11. Which was first to go extinct: ammonites, archeocyathids, eurypterids, trilobites?
12. Which is a radiometric dating method: carbon-14, potassium-argon, samarium-neodymium, uranium-lead?
13. Which rock is plutonic: foidolite, komatiite, lamprophyre, phonolite?
14. Which rock is volcanic: taconite, tephrite, tonalite, troctolite?
15. Which of these does not belong: rille, fosse, corona, catena?
16. Is the Black Sea one of the Seven Seas? Is the Mediterranean?
17. Which midocean ridge spreads the slowest: Gakkel, Gorda, Juan de Fuca, Reykjanes?
18. What comes next: olivine, pyroxene, amphibole, . . . ?
19. What comes next: plinian, vulcanian, strombolian, . . . ?
20. Which starts first: Archean, Eratosthenian, Hesperian?
Stolen with thanks from Jon Carroll, who has an infinitely better Christmas Quiz.