1. Education

Andrew Alden

Diamonds in Minnesota

By March 22, 2005

Maybe yes, maybe no--but Minnesota's ancient bedrock is similar to Canada's, where diamond mines now operate. The state's Geological Survey contracted with a mining company to sample the state systematically, and diamonds are among the resources they hope to find. Learn more about what they're looking for, or just feast your eyes on a bigger close-up of this natural diamond crystal.

Comments

June 7, 2010 at 9:35 am
(1) Lyndon D. Johnson says:

I have found A Diamond in Minnesota. I am wondering if any one else has and what is the biggest. The one I found has great color (white), clarity perfect. not sure of weight cause of host quartz like rock around it with a little silver on it. It is beautiful. What I can tell it is about double the diameter of a pencil.

June 7, 2010 at 12:28 pm
(2) Lyndon says:

Where can I get a GIa report done or authenticity???

June 7, 2010 at 1:53 pm
(3) Geology Guide says:

I invite you to post your question in the Forum, with photos. Personally, I’m very skeptical that you have a diamond, and it would cost hundreds of dollars for a gemologist’s analysis.

June 11, 2010 at 9:45 pm
(4) Lyndon says:

I had a gemologist from DJ’s Bitzan look at it and he was very excited about it. He said wow. But it wont fit in his instruments. So it still inconclusive. I know its not topaz. I haven’t ruled out corundum. It is harder than # 8 on the Mohs’ scale. I will get a Good Picture of it in a couple days. I’ve been Gem stone hunting for more than 15 years and never seen nothing like it.

September 19, 2010 at 4:55 pm
(5) ART says:

I can help you.I am president of corporation,we are in gem business.

September 25, 2013 at 9:30 am
(6) ed says:

I know a place I thought I found some but I thought no way it could be