1. Education

Just added to the Mineral Gallery is an image of several rare nuggets of platinum. These are a rarity among rarities because they show the metal in its crystal form.

Comments

January 30, 2009 at 4:26 pm
(1) kenny says:

I recently found a cache of thirty platinum nuggets,all have been worked(jeweled),these i beleive to have come from the gold rush days of the dawson creeks and streams.Most are in good shape and am planning to sell some.For the most part nuggets from what i observe caome,in a variety of shapes.Some of the ones i have are brecciated,and weigh up to 22 grms.

February 10, 2009 at 6:42 pm
(2) kenny says:

Nuggets apparently go for around u.s $560.00 or so per gram.I have a few i found and are still,in nugget form due to the fact that prior to 1920 or so;no one could come up with the incredible heat(3,150 F)to melt the platinum into ingots and shape them,etc.Most of the ones i have are in original form(except for depictions drawn on them).Most are more or less geological specimens from the 19th century.And studying them it becomes quite apparent.Doing research i have found that pond and co were doing such things int the,latter end of the 19th century situated in dawson yukon NWT.These for tourists and miners alike.Some are very good original specimens,and like most geological specimens hold their own throughout time.Compared to current platinum prices the price for a nugget is higher,this can be attributed to its natural rarity and purity.I beleive this can be attributed to what is called”1000″ fine.This in content and purity.Although platinum comes along with impurities like iron,and other associated minerals.Rather simple,Right?Also platinum comes associated with other minerals like dunite,and garnets.These ofcoarse are attributed to the natural deposits.

February 10, 2009 at 9:15 pm
(3) Geology Guide says:

This sounds realy cool. As I understand it, platinum is naturally alloyed with other platinum-group metals (Rh, Re, Pd, Au?). Platinum loves iron, but iron loves oxygen and probably doesn’t get into platinum very much. Would love to hear more as you proceed.

February 13, 2009 at 6:19 pm
(4) E Logan says:

When panning in the Trinity River of Northern California, a tributary of the Klamath, one often gets small pieces of shiny metal that people say are platinum. I have heard that some of the metal might actually be osmium-iridium alloy. Some writers, like Alt and Hyndman, say the rock of origin of alluvial platinum (PGE) is probably peridotite or serpentinite. I wonder how I might recognize a specific outcropping that is more likely to be enriched in PGE?
Also, I noticed that if I crush local serpentinite, some dark colored material can be separated out with a magnet. I assumed it is just magnetite. That leaves a yellow-green non-magnetic fraction. But I wonder if should I have some of the magnetic material assayed for, say, chromium or PGE?

February 14, 2009 at 2:20 pm
(5) Geology Guide says:

I imagine you wouldn’t see PGE even in the richest zones, so panning would be your best bet, homing in on the source rocks by looking for grains with less wear.

Remember that chromite is also (weakly) magnetic. Maybe there’s a way to separate weakly magnetic from strongly magnetic minerals.

May 14, 2009 at 4:41 pm
(6) Kenny says:

Those nuggets i found probably came from the Kuskokwim R.region

May 31, 2010 at 7:24 pm
(7) roberts bros minning says:

Don’t leave out Sperrylite when your searching through dark green olivine and look for cassiterite crystals in hydrathermal veins preferably in contact zones between granites and serpentines. We just dicovered Tellurides and Sperrylite in our contact zones between serpantine and granite(pegmatites) in Millard County Utah. Our cassiterites are real good clues as to the hydrathermal faults.Don’t be afraid to break up the host rock containing your crystals of cassiterites or Quartz crystals because ours contain xenolyths of Iron,Copper,Gold,Silver,platinum and more. The darker your rock(iron) the better and the Greener(Nickel,Manganese,etc…).Happy hunting robertsbros@live.com

January 7, 2011 at 12:40 pm
(8) Garry says:

I have platinum crystal nuggets like the one pictured above for sale at an unbelievably low price of $225 per gram. This is less than 1/2 of what others are selling these platinum nuggets for. How can I sell them so cheap? I bought almost the entire supply from the importer many years ago, and since then they are impossible to export out of Russia because Russia is hanging on to all their precious metals. I am adding more nuggets to my website every week as I have several hundred of these platinum crystal nuggets. Visit me at: goldnuggetsales.com

September 28, 2012 at 1:30 pm
(9) Chris jenkins says:

I found 33 platinum nuggets in one area with my whites mxt metal detector on a beach where an old town was 1890s I have 2 large nuggets 1-580 gram 1-587 gram I carry a 233 gram in my pocket I use it as a conversion piece it has chromite inclusions the other minerals in the area are ultramafic peridotite which does not belong on the surface more like 150 km down I’ve been collecting it for 10-12 years now I picked up 10 lbs 12.7oz so far. I have to go there at low tide Fraser river

October 10, 2012 at 9:37 pm
(10) Kenney says:
October 26, 2013 at 7:00 am
(11) charlie says:

i lost a nuget apox one half inch long and one eaith inch round